The Verandah House was built in 1857 for one of Corinth’s founders, Hamilton Mask. The original architecture is Greek Revival and contained four sixteen foot cube rooms.
During the Civil War, the house was headquarters to several generals.
General Albert Sidney Johnston, Major General Braxton Bragg, and Colonel Thomas Jordan, whom General P.T.G. Beauregard sent to represent his endorsement, set forth the plan of Confederate attack on the Union troops at Shiloh from Verandah House on April 2nd, 1862. General Henry Halleck was headquartered there following Shiloh.
After the war, the home had several families throughout the years. The Curlee family lived there twice, and the descendants of the Curlee family donated the property to the city in the 1960s. It is now called Verandah Curlee House and is designated a National Historic Landmark by the Department of the Interior because of its Civil War history. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic places, and is a Mississippi Landmark.
After 8 yeas of extensive repairs, this historic home is now open once again for daily tours and as an event venue.